Saturday, May 7, 2016

Wrap Up Saturday: April Wrap Up

Hey Everyone,

Today's post is a wrap up of the books I read in April! Before we get into the post, I would just like to mention that I have decided to make a change to the type of posts I will be making on Saturdays. I have noticed over the last couple of months, that at the beginning of each month I end up writing a lot of wrap up posts on Thursdays. I have some new ideas for future posts that I want to put up on Thursdays and so I have decided to dedicated Saturdays to my wrap up posts. These posts will include monthly wrap ups, instagram challenges and book hauls. As a result, I have also decided to combine the mini review posts with the full reviews on Tuesdays. I hope you guys enjoy this new arrangement. Book blogging is still really new to me and so I am still testing things out but I am loving it so far. Now let's get into the wrap up!

Title: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publication Year: 2007
Publisher: Bloomsbury Childrens Books
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22037483-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows
Sentence Summary: The epic conclusion to the Harry Potter series, where Harry has his final battle with his number one enemy.
Mini Review: This was a great last book to this fantastic series. I was kind of hoping to finish this book in March with the rest of the series but unfortunately didn't get it done in time. This series turned out to be way more than what I expected it to be and as a result, I ended up loving it more than I ever thought I would. I really enjoyed this last book as there was a great amount of adventure as well as action and mystery as we reached the final battle. Though I did know quite a few things that were going to happen in the end, I did still quite enjoy the book and still got surprised on many things that I hadn't already been told about. There were still a great deal of twists and turns in this final instalment, despite me knowing some of the bigger events. I will say though, that the only reason why I didn't give it 5 stars is because I did find some of the beginning moments to be quite slow. Other than that, this was great and was quite a satisfying conclusion to this series. J.K. Rowling is an amazing writer and story teller and I am excited for the new Harry Potter type books that are due to come out this year. It was definitely a great time to finally read the series.
Star Rating: 4.5/5 Stars!


Title: A Walk To Remember
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Publication Year: 1999
Publisher: Sphere
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1054003.A_Walk_to_Remember
Sentence Summary: The story of a boy who fell in love with a unique girl who held a huge secret.
Mini Review: After reading the Harry Potter series, I tried reading a couple of other books but was having trouble getting into them. I decided to then re-read my favourite book to get back into the swing of things. I absolutely love this book and re-reading it again, just reminds me of how much I really enjoy reliving this story. I really love the way it is written and love how it may be a small book but still contains so much. The romance in this book is probably one of the best I have read, purely because I still find it quite special even when other books may have a similar plot. It is both a heart warming and heart breaking kind of book that leaves me feeling all sorts of emotions. After reading this book numerous times, I still get the same reactions to all the parts of the book, despite knowing exactly what's about to happen. It did get me out of a slump for a while as I did begin to read a new book and did get quite through it but unfortunately I did fall into another slump. I'm glad I read this book again as it did help with my post Harry Potter feelings and I has motivated me to pick up more books again, I just need another great book like this one to help me really get out of my slump. I have written a review of this book in the past that has more of my thoughts, you can view it here: http://louiseereads.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/mini-review-saturday-fiction-favourites.html
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!


Title: The Gloomster
Author: Ludwig Bechstein (Original), Julia Donaldson (Translator) & Alex Scheffler (Illustrator)
Publication Year: 2011
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Goodreads Link: 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12791904-the-gloomster
Sentence Summary: A poem of a man who is upset about anything and everything.
Mini Review: I really liked this short little book as I found it to be quite real. The Gloomster was originally a short poem by Ludwig Bechstein that was translated and illustrated into book form by the famous children book duo, Julia Donaldson and Alex Scheffler. The story follows this man who expresses how everything makes him feel quite negatively. I think the reason why I really enjoyed it is because I can see what the author was trying to say. I myself have had some days where I get quite upset or angry at random things for no reason and that's what this book is about. It is really insightful for someone like me to read about as it puts things into perspective. It's quite hard for me to fully explain why this book made me feel so good inside despite it having such a sad tone. I really recommend everyone to have a read of this book as it can be quite eye opening and may even get more people aware of things such as anxiety and depression. Not for one moment did I think that this man was being annoying or overacting because sometimes we all feel the way he does. I hope more people pick up this book as it is a short read but it does say so much.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!

So those are all the books I read in the month of April. As you can tell, I didn't have a really good reading month and so far this month. I am still currently in a little bit of a reading slump and am still looking for the right book to get me out of it. Let me know if there is a book you would like me to read and I might just choose it for this month.

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe