Sunday, April 24, 2016

Mini Review Saturday: Parody Picture Books

Hey Everyone,

Today's review post is a collection of a different type of book that I have yet to review. I love to read some short books every now and again especially when I need to take a break from bigger reads. The type of books I normally pick up in between book is usually either a graphic novel or humour books. So today I'll be reviewing a few humour books, specifically picture books that are parodies of children books. Let's get into it!

Title: We're Going On A Bar Hunt
Author: Josie Lloyd, Emlyn Rees & Gillian Johnson (Illustrator)
Publication Year: 2013
Publisher: Constable
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: Parents book a babysitter and go bar jumping in this parody of the children's book, 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt".
Mini Review: This was actually the first parody book I've read that was a take on a picture book and I thought that it was okay. I've read the original book "We're Going On A Bear Hunt" a bunch of times especially when I used to work in Child Care and so I am very familiar with the story. I felt like this book was trying a little too hard to be similar to that story and so at times I lost it's humour. In saying this, the book was still quite entertaining at times. I did find myself laughing at some language they used to describe the bars or the drinks they drank. Even as someone who doesn't drink very often, I was still able to appreciate that aspect of the book. Another thing that I actually didn't enjoy about this book was the art work. Though it was creative with a style that made the illustrations look like recycled materials, I wasn't able to enjoy it as it wasn't really my type of styler. I also was expecting to see similar art in the book that was used in the original story as it would of made the story funnier. Overall, it was an okay parody book that I will still talk about to people but it wasn't what I was expecting for a parody of popular children's book. 
Star Rating: 3/5 Stars!


Title: Are You My Boyfriend?
Author: C.B. Bryza & Simon Grenier (Illustrator)
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Gallery Books
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: A young woman searches for a boyfriend in this wonderful parody of the children's classic, "Are You My Mother?".
Mini Review: This book randomly came into work one day and I absolutely needed to get it when I saw it. As a child, I loved reading all the Dr Seuss books as well as all the other titles under the same company which included "Are You My Mother?" by P.D. Eastman. I loved reading this book as it was kind of a reminder of those books I read when I was little. The story was actually quite heart warming as you joined this woman on her mission to find her boyfriend. I also really loved the art style which was very similar to the original book as it had a grey/brown colour as the main shade but then also splashes of red and yellow mixed in to give emphasis to particular images. This the same style they used in the original book and so I felt like it added that little bit more of fun into the book as you can truly see how it was a parody through the similarities in not only the story but also the illustrations. Overall, I loved this book so much and found it both hilarious and touching. It is one of those books that I know I can read over and over again. Highly recommend this one to everyone, especially if you read "Are You My Mother?" growing up.
Star Rating: 5/5 Stars!


Title: The Very Hungover Caterpillar
Author: Josie Lloyd, Emlyn Rees & Gillian Johnson (Illustrator)
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: Constable
Goodreads Link: 
Sentence Summary: A man looks for a cure to his hangover in this parody of the children's book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar".
Mini Review: Like "Are You My Boyfriend?", this book actually came into the store randomly and I thought that it was really funny as it was a take on one of my favourite children stories growing up, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". This book written and illustrated by the same people who did the parody "We're Going On A Bar Hunt" which I read before this one. I did find that this book was an improvement from that title as I found that this story was more entertaining in that though the art style was still not similar to the original, the text and writing was. I still didn't really enjoy the illustrations as again it used the same art style as the other book and was totally different to the original. I've come to realise that I seem to be able to enjoy a parody more when it stays kind of true to the original. Overall, besides the art work, I really liked this parody and it did make me remember the original story which made me laugh. I probably will still check out any other parodies that these creators may produce in the future but I just kind of hope that the art will change. I still recommend this book if you loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar growing up.
Star Rating: 4/5 Stars!

So those are some of the parody picture books that I have read. I have read some more other type of parody books as well as other humour books, so I'll definitely have to do a review post for those in the future. Let me know of hilarious humour books that you have been reading and I might just have to check them out. 

I hope you are all having a wonderful day!

~Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe