Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Review: Why We Broke Up By Daniel Handler


Hello All,

Today’s review is on last book I finished, “Why We Broke Up” by Daniel Handler and illustrations by Maira Kalman. I bought this book from work as I loved the appearance of it and when I flicked through it I saw the wonderful illustrations and just knew I needed to own it. I hadn't heard much about this book until after I started reading it and from the reviews I read I gathered that there was mixed feelings about it.

The story is told in the form of a letter written by the main character, Min Green. She writes this long letter to her ex boyfriend, Ed and attaches the letter to a box of things from their relationship. The letter goes through their time together and explains each item that she has placed in the box and how all of it connects to their sad break up.

There is so much about this book that I loved but there were also so much I couldn't stand. I had great difficulty finishing this book as I just couldn't get myself to enjoy it. Let’s start with the positives of the book. I loved the concept and the lay out. I always enjoy reading books that are set up as anything but just another novel like emails, text messages, chat rooms and of course letters. It makes the story interesting and personal so you build a closer connection to the characters. I did feel that way with this book, as you could really feel what she was feeling through the way she wrote her letter. Another thing I really enjoyed were the illustrations of each item inside the box as it gave visual of what she was talking about. It made me feel as though I was holding what she was writing about which gave the story more emotion. The illustrations are one of the reasons I continued to read even when I was really struggling to get through the chapters. The other reason was the beautiful writing of Daniel Handler. He is an excellent writer and is able to really make the text sound poetic. I loved the way he wrote about each item and the detail of each event that occurred. Even as I was having trouble getting through the book, there was always a tiny moment in his writing that just kept me hooked to the story which made me not want to give up on its plot.

Besides all of that, there were things that just didn't work for me in this book. The first was the characters. I couldn't get myself to fully connect to any of them which made it hard for me to follow the story and understand their point of view. The main character, Min is the one I had most trouble liking as her personality just seemed over dramatic for what the story was especially as she explains each date the couple had. I understand that they wanted to create a main girl who was different and unique which she was and I applaud that, but I just couldn't fit her personality to the story. I did like that she was into vintage things but I think it was a bit too much for me which made me keep losing interest in her story. She constantly made references to old films and their characters which I didn't understand because I didn't get the references which made it really hard for me to follow her point of view and her way of thinking as none of it seemed to make sense to me. I didn't have much trouble with Ed’s character as it was more basic and every now again you would learn something about him that you wouldn't expect which I really enjoyed but even from the very beginning I could see that his personality and Min’s personality was just not compatible. Because of this I had such a difficult time trying to process their relationship as I could see from the start why they were going to break up.  They were very different and even their family and friends could see how incompatible they were which really frustrated me because it seemed so clear and even as she writes the letter she states how they were different. Their relationship was frustrating as I found myself just waiting for it to end as I felt that they as characters would be better off apart. I don’t usually want fictional couples to split but for these characters it just seemed to make more sense that they did. Which when I think about it makes perfect sense for the plot line.

The final thing I’d like to state about this book is that the length of the relationship and the length of this letter just don’t seem to match very well. At first I didn't know how long the relationship was until the very end when they break up and it really shocked me that it was shorter than I thought it was.  The letter is so long and the box is filled with so many things that I assumed it was an extensive relationship. It really made me feel like the story was more unrealistic because of it especially how it ended which made me start to question the point of the whole letter. She states in the letter that she is hoping Ed is distressed and how she knows that he was hurting like her but all of that just seemed unrealistic at the end. I don’t want to give anything away in case you haven’t read it but from the way it ended I just couldn't see the reason for such a long letter to her ex.

Overall I wouldn't personally recommend this book to anyone but if you want to see how this story plays out, give this book a try and tell me what you think? I enjoyed the concept and idea, but I just would have liked to see it set up in a different way.

It has been stated that this book will be turned into a movie sometime this year, which even though I didn't enjoy the book, I would still love to see how it is portrayed in film. I will keep you all posted on that and let you know of a release date once one has been established

Hope you enjoyed my review and if you enjoyed this book, I would love to hear from you in the comments.

I have another post for you all tomorrow night!


Keep Reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Past Reads

My Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Falling into Place
Crash: Book Three
Chat: Book One
Connect: Book Two
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 4
Chopsticks
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 3
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 2
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1
Username: Evie
Ugly Love
The Widow
Maybe Not
Maybe Someday
Amazing Fantastic Incredible: A Marvelous Memoir

Wants/TBR

My To-Read Shelf:
Louise's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
Pride and Prejudice
The Bronze Horseman
The Sun Is Also a Star
Tweet Heart
A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger
Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City
Chat Love
Holly's Inbox
The Not So Secret Emails Of Coco Pinchard
Love, Rosie
I've Got Your Number
Top 8
Want to Go Private?
House of Leaves
Pretty Baby
A Court of Mist and Fury
Teen Frankenstein
Leave Me Alone
Fable Comics
Mr. Maybe